Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Karate Terms 101-C

Darn it, I'm still sick... I hope I can make it to tomorrow night's class. Perhaps I'll feel better by passing this virus to someone else...! (just kidding, of course)


Though I want my students to learn some Japanese terms (those listed in the previous posts), I generally use English words in class so you're not required to learn them. However, there are some terms that are hard to translate, which I recommend you to have basic ideas about:


(From 101-A)


  • Kime 極め: Focus / Delivery of force (at the end of technique)
  • Ki-ai 気合: Spirited yell (with proper breathing, to enhance whole body/mental integration)
  • Ma-ai 間合: Effective distance (not fixed, but rather constantly changing based on the situation, yours and/or opponent's intention, physique, attitude, etc.)

(101-C)


  • Tan-den 丹田: Center of body/mass (about an inch below navel, inward toward the spine)
  • Kamae 構え: "Ready" posture (including stance and hands position as well as mental readiness)
  • Budo 武道: Japanese martial arts aiming at self-improvement through physical training (Judo, Kendo, Aikido, Karate)
  • Zan-shin 残心: Remaining mind. After a technique, don't let your mind go off but keep it attentive to the opponent so that if necessary, you can immediately follow-up with another move.
  • Kyo 虚: mental and/or physical opening / unreadiness
  • Ki 気: mental force (which precedes physical action)
I just added a few to the 101-C above, and this should complete the 101 level karate terms! The 201 level will be more sparring-oriented terms and some advanced techniques, and the 301 level will be the competition rules terminology. Anyway, see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment