Tuesday, April 13, 2010

VTK Logo ANOTHER TRY!

Thank you for the overwhelming responses (2...) to the logo design project. Looks like people unanimously prefer the design #1 or #2.


And I must say that the more I look at the other designs, the less they appear attractive. That's not a good quality for our logo! And the comment about "Van Halen" for #4... Obviously that was not my intention, but funny!

So anyway, I still like the fonts used in other designs over the ones used in #1 & #2, so I tried to combine the design #1 with #6 and came up with the design I below:

Design I:




I like it, but then, I felt like our dojo name appears too small. So I swapped the dojo name and "traditional karate" kanji writing at the bottom, and came up with the design II:

Design II:


Hmm, now the dojo name is bigger but doesn't appear so strong because of the color... Why don't I swap the top and bottom, to make the dojo name appear in red:


Design III:


...Or perhaps I can simply switch the colors between top and bottom:


Design IV:


Not bad. Or maybe I can make the design I's Kanji line smaller, then that would make the dojo name appear stronger:

Design V:


Pretty good. And now I ran out of the modification ideas. So again, what do you think?? These are very minor changes, but if you pay attention, you can appreciate the differences: just like a small change in a foot angle would make a huge impact on your stance! :-)

Colors would be changed, depending on the use (website, T-shirts, flier, etc.), but I want to establish the basic design first. Again, let me know what you think. If not many responses, I, Eiko and Jon will make an executive decision by ourselves.

6 comments:

  1. Wow...

    Here's my ideal logo -
    Eiko's Logo #2 is still my favorite BUT the English writing on Valley Traditional Karate should be bolder and more pronounced like Taichiro's Design V...a littler smaller than his but just as red and vibrant!
    Also the green part needs to be darker.
    Eiko's kanji is much nicer.
    So - a bit of combination between Eiko Logo#2 and Taichiro Design V

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the new batch, I'll go with V, for the same reasons I went with the last two. Spacing is intriguing, and negative space is even better. No one thing is too pronounced to draw away from the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my Kanji fonts are better! It's clean and sophisticated and there are shadows. The fonts Taichiro uses are old fashioned and looks like Sumo directory. The original was much greener. I don't know why the computer changed it.
    Mine is #1! I win!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like number two from both sets. Kanji fonts are better from #2 in the first set, spacing and placement of words is better from #2 of this set. Compromise?

    -Jon "The Editor who is still a white belt and guitar player" Menefee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good discussion (finally)!

    About #2 of the previous set: the Kanji writing is "Shotokan Karate" which is not a part of our dojo name, so I'd want to stay away from it. I know it looks better as a design, but I'd rather use "Traditional Karate" as in #1 and in the new set. Also, #1's font is cleaner as Eiko said, but it looks too feminine for my taste; it'll be even more so if you make it smaller. I'll try to look for another font, perhaps something in between those 2 types.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can we put only the top 4 together now - because Eiko's are really far down and I'm not sure everyone is seeing everything?
    She will submit one more later today.
    Can you really print business cards at the office?
    Great! We have a design for that too!!! Naturally it will be the same logo once we've decided.
    I got my teeth cleaned today.

    ReplyDelete