Sunday, May 23, 2010

VTK / NKI Dojo Exchange! (Sunday, May 23, 2010)

Thanks everyone for showing up today! It was great that we had a floor full of people; felt great spirit and 2-hour didn't seem too long at all!

I would definitely want your comments on today's training: how different or similar you felt, what you liked or disliked, etc. Now hopefully you all understand what I meant by "same stuff from different perspectives". Both Ron and Robert are great instructors and I personally thoroughly enjoyed the class today. I was hoping to get some timing drills done, but maybe next time. Oh, and not to mention, great party afterwards! Thanks everyone for a bottle of Sake!

Today's Subjects:
  • ...Too many to list! Let me just list up some points that I remember (not in a particular order, sorry!):
  • Floor connection, pure & clear body dynamics, coordinating breathing with technique, floor pressure, various body dynamics, eyes leading action, clear target / course of action, proper face / eye positioning, charging Tanden (center of mass) with "Ki" energy, apply body mass into a technique (throwing a sack of potatoes or a telephone pole), penetrate through the target, maintain the intent forward (even when backing up), etc.

To me, getting to know many different people who I'd never have a chance to know otherwise (unless you go to a cuddling party...) is one of the biggest benefits of being involved in karate, so I truly enjoy an event like this. We have these local connections as well as regional, national and international networks. I hope to continue having more parties, I mean trainings, with many more karate people from everywhere!

8 comments:

  1. Yes!!
    This was a great practice.
    I was hoping for a little more partner drills - it's always good to face new, different people.
    However I consider it a success -it went well!
    The little gathering afterwords was nice too!
    We'll have to thank Madilyn Clark for letting us use the outside space - as they normally rent it.

    Taichiro - I don't think you have covered "vibration" in our dojo yet. I found it very interesting that Robert seemed pleased that everyone seemed to be doing it somewhat correctly already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jon,

    Yes, I told Robert afterwards that we haven't covered vibration before, but he said we all were doing fine. I think I will start teaching it when some students go for 6th Kyu, with Heian Sandan.

    Robert told me that we all were doing great, with clean techniques. But those who are testing next week still need to work hard or they will fail... No, he didn't say that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that last comment was funny.

    Class was really great yesterday. I loved learning so many different perspectives on things. The one note that really stands out in my mind was when Ron was telling us (in Kihon) that even though we're moving backward (rising block) the thought process is always forward. It's always felt a little weird to move backward, but that helped. He made the block feel more like a strike, it's a defensive move, but he made it feel like we could control the opponent with it like an offensive move. Very cool.

    I also loved Robert's slow and precise movement through the Kata. Constantly checking posture, eyes, stance, everything and moving through it very slowly. Then at the end, he just counted us through it SO FAST, but it actually felt good, not overwhelming.

    The party was excellent. That's a really great group we have there. We all seem to vibe together really well. That is seriously something we should do again in the not too far away future.

    Thanks team!

    -Jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last comment was "yellow belt" Jon by the way. ;)

    That's so confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here on the blog, "Jon" is the yellow belt, and "jon" is the black belt; not too confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WE know that, but now sure everyone else did.

    I definitely DON'T want to be mistaken for the "other" Jon.

    Hehe, jk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sound like fighting words!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do have a great group going! I'm very happy about the whole thing. Being a part of founding a dojo has been a dream of mine for a long time.
    Although there has not been anything "easy" about it I find it worthwhile and a great challenge that I'm up for!
    We will have a party in the summer - maybe a BBQ at our place!

    ReplyDelete