Sunday, July 11, 2010

Frida, July 9, 2010 (Toru's Seminar @ Monterey Park)

I'm glad that some of us made it to the seminar! Toru is just a full of information, and we all learned a lot, I think. A little confusing? Maybe so, but some new and fresh ideas keep us wonder and make us want to find out if they work or not. Karate learning is so much fun!

Some points I remember:
Beating and flowing energy, core connection, stance alignment (spine, pelvis, hips, knees, feet, scapulas), forearm rotation (supination/pronation) relationship, use of serratus anterior, disuse of lats, difference between Hanmi front-stance and Shomen front-stance.

2 comments:

  1. That sure was a confusing class...
    I thought it was funny how the black belts seemed confused but the yellow belts loved it!
    Maybe the black belts' cups are too full?
    Maybe the yellow belts are bigger sponges at this point?
    I heard Jon M. liked it so much that he may go to that dojo sometimes...he knows Toru does not teach there right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. jon may be right, that the black belts are stuck with our own ideas and are often hard to accept new concepts.

    I personally didn't find it too confusing because I knew some of his ideas beforehand and knew where they were coming from. That doesn't mean I'd accept everything he said, though.

    What he (or anybody) taught us is not the ultimate truth. It works for him, but what I do has been working for myself, so I just have to investigate on how I can use some of his ideas to improve what I already have. It's a challenge nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete