Friday, July 2, 2010

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tonight's subjects:

Kata:
  • Heian Shodan
  • Your Own (clear target, hop position & stance to support the technique)

Kihon:
  • Kicks (Mae-geri, Yoko-geri Keage, Mawashi-geri)

Kumite:
  • Back leg kicks (Mae-geri & Mawashi-geri) against target

I had a chance to discuss about teaching with Ron and Robert the other night, and we agreed that we all TALK TOO MUCH when we teach! We all tend to over-explain things and slow down the "flow" of the sweating process. I still want you to understand the points rather than mindlessly do things, but I will try to balance them so that you can break a sweat even in that air-conditioned room. Especially the 1-hour class is too short for me to talk and talk...!

As I explained in class (oh, did I still talk too much??), kicking is not easy. But you should always focus on the same principles as punching, such as the body-center initiation, the floor use, and the stance support (alignment). At least for me, a kick does not come out naturally unless I plan it, but when you do plan it and apply it in a proper chance, it really works! A lot of us still have trouble connecting the kick, so keep working on it to get that "clean hit" image. We'll kick some pads next time.

1 comment:

  1. Thank Goodness!! ha ha ha - only joking

    The last dojo I was in was MOSTLY talking!! I guess that's why many of them were out of shape!

    I think it is also really important that nobody else talks unless asked - sensei only. The amount of talking at the Temple City dojo was beyond belief.

    ReplyDelete