Saturday, August 6, 2011

VMAC Grand Opening! and...

Oh my god, it's been almost a month since I last posted on this blog. I'm sorry. It has been on my to-do list, but I just never had time or energy to do it. While I'm a full time employee, I've been involved in this dojo opening matters as well as regular teaching, and on top of that I was moving. I really felt that I had 3 jobs (and all of them are pretty physical) and never felt fully rested until only a couple of days ago. I lost about 4-5 pounds without trying.

As you know I used to post after every class. Now that I'm teaching 3-5 times a week it's just very hard to keep up. I think I will have to decrease the frequency of posting; I will post at least once a week about what the main subject matters in my class are, plus occasional special notifications when we have some events.

So we had a great Grand Opening Party on July 23! The best part was all the beers that were left over which we've consumed almost nightly for 2 weeks...! Just kidding, but we really had a great turn out and it was pretty successful. Thanks to all who helped, brought food/drinks, cooked and served. We were hoping to have more prospective students, but we did not do well reaching out to those. But in any case, we've been having new students joining us constantly, almost one new student a week! Having to teach a big class is a new challenge to me, so please be kind/patient if you feel that you're not getting enough attention or that the class is not as well organized/smoothly ran as it used to.

OK, what are the training focus for the past couple of weeks and for this week? Obviously we are going over the exam requirement many times. It's not as exciting as the sparring drills, but it really builds your foundation and we all have a lot to learn from it. Another subject is a basic timing of "Sen". Since we have many new students, I thought it's a good idea to focus on the very basic timing concept, which is Sen. Get this concept absorbed into your guts and bones, and it'll serve you well in sparring for the rest of your life!

3 more weeks until the exam!

No comments:

Post a Comment