Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 4 - 10, 2011

Most of you learned your new kata by now. Keep on working on it for the next 3.5 months! It's nice that you can graduate a kata every 4 months; I've been doing the same old Nijushiho for over 15 years...!

We've been working on the kicks as I promised you, and I've thrown in Ushiro-geri (back kick) just to get a kick out of it! :-) Actually 3rd Kyu exam will have a back kick in Kumite, so I need to get some of you prepared. I must admit that it's my least favorite kick, both in doing it and in receiving it (boy it hurts!). I spar to test my skills including how well I can control a technique, and I don't like it when someone tries a technique that he apparently cannot control. Accident happens and I rarely complains even if I get hit, but I try not to hit anybody. Back kick can be a very strong technique, but it can also be very dangerous or difficult if you can't control the momentum. I need to practice it as much as you do...!

Let's continue working on kicks, basic Sen/Go-no-sen timings, and some advanced timing concepts/drills. Also I welcome any suggestions or requests!

No comments:

Post a Comment