Sunday, November 13, 2011

November 6 - 12, 2011 & Nishiyama Memorial Training

It's time to switch a gear and get ready for the exam next month! Are you ready?? Judging from the attendance, some people may be better off skipping the exam this time. As usual, I'm not making that decision (except for the white belts; you need to fulfill the minimum requirement as stated on the handbook), and I encourage everyone to test if they have been training regularly. You still have a month, so don't be nervous yet but start preparing for it! I'm available for private lessons, too, in case you forget about it...

Most of you did not know Sensei Nishiyama who was my teacher. He passed away 3 years ago. Not only was he a great karate teacher, he was a great human being in general and I miss him very much. I learned so much from him and I know for sure that without him I wouldn't have been where I am now. I'm trying to share with you what I learned from him, which is, to enjoy karate. I'm thankful that I had him as my teacher, and I'm thankful that I have a chance to pass his legacy on to you all.


In honoring/celebrating 3 years since his passing, we hosted a memorial event at our dojo. Avi taught a great class, and Susan prepared very nice lunch for all. For those who had not met Avi before, now you know who we always talk about (and impersonate!). He is the reason why I got to know Sensei Nishiyama, he is the reason why I started drinking coffee (:-)), and he still is a mentor for my karate development. We're hoping to host many more of his seminars in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment