Wednesday, November 9, 2011

October 23 - 29, 2011

I know I have not updated this blog for a couple of weeks... My last post's format was so off and I blame Internet Explorer not being compatible with this blog website; it messes up all the formats when I post and it looks ugly and discourages me to write anything...

Now that I installed Google Chrome, I can write a post with proper formatting!

Since the last Kyu tournament, our training focus has been "Zanshin". It is something you have to ALWAYS keep in the back of your head, whenever you practice karate. Especially in tournaments, I don't want our students to automatically assume they scored a point and drop their attention off from the opponent. In most sports karate competition, kumite competitors quickly pulls their fist back to their hip ("chamber" position) without achieving complete Kime; this is a stupid habit and to me, it completely lacks Zanshin as well as Kime.

Kata, Kumite or even in Kihon we must stay alert to the surrounding and stay focused/aware of the opponent, continue being ready to react to a move and to stay "ahead" of his intention. Make Zanshin your habit for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment