Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Today's topics:

Warm up:
  • Heian Shodan

Kicks:
  • Mae-geri
  • Yoko-geri Keage (tried it on the floor, focusing on knee snap... did it work for you??)

Kata:
  • Heian Nidan, up to 12th move
  • Application of move #1 (2 variations)
  • Application of move #2

Free-style:
  • Reaction drill

I was thinking of doing some pads drills but I ran out of time. Sorry! I'm not used to teaching kata application, so it was hard for me to estimate the time needed to cover those moves. But anyways, I hope you enjoyed a bit different aspect of karate training tonight. As I said, there are some cool moves especially in advanced katas, and some people really love exploring varieties of kata applications. For me, it's fun to try out a bit once in awhile, but it is not my main focus. I hope I can find someone to teach us a seminar or two about kata applications maybe one day.

We will continue working on Heian Nidan and more sparring drills (and pads, I promise!) for next 1 week, then we will go back to the "exam prep" mode again. Remember, no matter what you're practicing, the underlying principles remain the same and the external actions don't matter much in the end. So theoretically, you can improve your Heian Shodan by practicing Heian Nidan! I hope this theory applies to you all! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment