Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sorry for those who failed today's test... Oh, I used this joke before already! :-) And again, EVERYONE PASSED! Congratulations to all of you. I'm really proud of you guys not because you passed but because I could see that you put a lot of effort to it. I'm happy to take a credit for good teaching (I hope you agree... please?), but it's ultimately your responsibility how you receive my teaching, digest and make it work for yourself. I can teach, but I can't make you learn, you know?

Up to this point, all of 8 yellow belts kind of progressed at about a same pace, but now we will start seeing some variations in learning processes. Some learn faster and progress further, while others still have trouble mastering a simple point. This is very normal and you shouldn't be discouraged just because you feel being a little behind. In case you didn't know what you got into, karate training is a lifelong process and is about your self-development. Your friend may achieve a black belt in 2 years and it might take 5 years for you, but if you continue learning while your friend quits after 2 years, guess who is better? Passing an exam is only one objective measurement of your technical improvement; with or without it, I hope you can continue enjoying and motivating yourself in learning karate as long as you live.

Today's Subjects:

Kata:
  • Your own kata as warm-up/ cool-down

Kihon:
  • Stepping punch (fwd) & rising block (bwd)
  • In-place front kick

Kumite:
  • Free-style move around
  • Slide-in punch (Kizami-zuki and Gyaku-zuki)
  • Following a partner's rhythm while imagining to be in control
  • Trying to surprise with a half-attack vs. Reacting to it with a full-attack (catching "Sen")

OK, so now you all have 4 months to work on your new kata (and some new basic moves), I can really take time in teaching. So that brown and black belts don't get bored, we can spend more time on timing drills (both reaction and setting-up strategy), pads training, kata application, competition training, etc. rather than keep repeating the simplest basics over and over again. I'm not saying basic training is boring, but it's always great to have a variety of learning opportunities so that you're always aware of different perspectives.

Now it's going to be a challenge for me if a new white belt joins... Perhaps I will finally start having Jon (I mean jon) teach a separate menu to a white belt. Speaking of jon teaching, I will be away from June 15 to 26, and he will be in charge of the classes. He might have some guest instructors coming, but we're not sure yet.

Once again, congratulations to all of you for great work so far, and let's keep it up!



1 comment:

  1. That's right! And while Taichiro is away I'll be teaching a lot of special secrets so we can all defeat him when he returns!!

    I do plan on getting someone to teach at least one class - but can't promise anything at this point. I'm thinking Assaf from Avi's dojo may come - he's a Sandan with very good skill. I'm sure everyone would enjoy his teaching. I'll do my best to get him!

    Great job today to the 5 white...errr...new yellow belts!

    ReplyDelete