Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thursday, September 16, 2010

So I had a great training last weekend. I arrived at St. Louis Friday night at 6pm, hoping to get a good night sleep on a comfy hotel bed before the next morning training, but the guy who picked me up took me straight to a dojo for the first team training... It lasted only for an hour, but seriously, I don't think I've ever sweated that much in one hour before!

Saturday and Sunday, Senseis Fusaro and (Toru) Shimoji gave me numerous tips on my Kata. Wow, you can only dream about getting that much personal attention from such great instructors. I learned soooo much and I only have 2 months before the World to work on those points! Can I train instead of teach, please??

We also worked on Kumite, and that "tune-in ~ induce opponent's attack" drill we did tonight was a modified version of one of the drills we did in the team training. Let's continue working on it in the coming classes.

I ran out of time tonight (as usual...!), but I also want to include 1-2 conditioning exercises that I did in the seminar such as push-ups, lunges, etc. in our classes. I don't want to do those just for you to sweat, but I'll have you do what I think compliments karate training. Let's start with 100 push-ups this Sunday!... Nah, I don't think I can do it.

Tonight's subjects:

Kata:
Warm up

Kihon:
Stances & shifting
Kizami-zuki ~ Gyaku-zuki
Mae-geri

Kumite:
Simultaneous Gyaku-zuki ("tune-in")
Try to catch half-beat early
Induce opponent's attack with less physical action

See you all Sunday! It's going to be my last Sunday class for now, so don't miss it!

3 comments:

  1. Modified Push Ups -As I read your blog post, I couldn’t help but think of the Push Up Bench as the most effective way for people who struggle with push ups , to be able to do them correctly (with full range of motion). Most modified push ups make them easier but only allow one or two variations. The Push Up Bench has 11 different levels to work through on the way to a full push up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed most of this class but walked in when you were explaining the "tune in-inducing attack" Complicated stuff! It took me a while to figure out what was going on. It's a hard thing to get. Certainly more of a feeling - sen related drill. Yes - the only way to really get it is to practice it over and over. Sen is a life long practice all by itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sasoi-waza (a kind of timing set-up, to invite opponent's attack) is not a difficult concept but it's hard to practice/teach right! I thought the way we practiced in St. Louis could work, but it still was difficult for most of us.

    I'm not going to spend too much time on it until we have a good number of brown/black belts who like to spar. But we should all understand what it is and try it out once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete