Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Our Student Handbook is finally available! Ask me for one if you haven't received it yet. I hope it helps you and that you learn something from it, and as always, I welcome any comments or constructive criticisms! I forgot to distribute our cool bumper sticker; I'll give one to you for free only if you're going to put it on your car! jon has one on his car. I haven't put one yet, just because I'm waiting to wash my car first (but I do it only once a year or so...).






So we began to learn roundhouse kick (mawashi-geri). It's hard to connect those techniques that have a path away from the body center (i.e., Soto-uke, Mawashi-geri, etc.), so be extra careful about the center initiation rather than the leg swinging feeling.


Today we covered:

Kihon:

  • In-place Kizami-zuki, Gyaku-zuki (center initiation, hip rotation, elbow connection)
  • In-place Mae-geri (center initiation, floor use, pelvic tilt)
  • In-place Mawashi-geri
  • Step-in Mawashi-geri
  • Pads: Back leg Mae-geri or Mawashi-geri

Kumite:
  • Free-style move around
  • Slide-in Kizami-zuki
  • Slide-in Gyaku-zuki
  • Slide-in Gyaku-zuki with Sweeping block
  • Catch "Sen" with Gyaku-zuki + Sweeping block (against Kizami-zuki)


Kata:

  • Heian Nidan
We'll continue practicing Mawashi-geri and Heian Nidan. Let us know if you guys have any request as to what you want to do more (pads, Kata application, timing drills, advanced timing strategy, etc., etc...). I won't be teaching much this month, but I'll leave jon some cheat sheets about what to go over, who to watch out, etc.!

2 comments:

  1. Love pad training, LOVE timing drills/sparring. There's nothing like the energy you get when you feed off of someone you're facing. Really incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Jon! Private lessons are great (and for a low rate of $30/hour, you can't go wrong! :-)) but I really like facing different people in group lessons. Regardless of your partner's ability (strength, skill, age, etc.) you always get to learn something from almost anyone. Karate is cool...!

    ReplyDelete